This listing is for the added convenience of patrons & members who want an exclusive & commercial custom made map.
What you’ll receive:
- a black & white version of the map both with and without text (2 files)
- a full color version of the map both with and without text (2 files)
- OR 1 Photoshop file containing:
- the black & white version
- the color version
- the illustrations as individual layers
- text as individual layers
- the option of having the original landscape map mailed to you
All my maps are hand-drawn. By “digital” I mean that you’ll receive a high resolution scan of the map and/or with embellishments added via Photoshop to create a digital image. You are sent the high resolution file(s) at 300 DPI in PNG format.
Please note, I do not make city/town maps.
- Any pledge level: This is for people who are not in hurry and don’t need their map to be exclusively theirs. I will pick a patron’s map to be created whenever my queue is open and/or monthly. This means that a patron of any level ($1 through $10 or more) can have their map created for nothing more than their patronage.
- $10 & Up Queue: For those who still DON’T need their maps to be exclusive but would like to be added to the queue so their map is created sooner. This means that a patron at the $10 will have their map created in the next available time slot for nothing more than their patronage and understand the map will be shared with the public.
- Exclusive/Commercial Licensing: For those people who want to use their map in commercial projects and do NOT want them shared with the public. This is still the $10 pledge level to reserve your spot in the queue and costs an ADDITIONAL CHARGE for the map design (usually about $550 – see below)
All Inclusive Licensing: My maps are generally around $550 for option #3 which includes commercial & exclusive licensing in the price. That means that any map I create for you at this price is exclusively yours to use however you see fit as long as I’m attributed as the artist. You can sell posters, books, props, etc. using the design. The only time I share the map is a low-res image and work-in-progress photos or while live streaming. (This does not include the accompanying illustrations such as the compass, border, ships, creatures, etc. unless we discuss it otherwise and each illustration is purchased separately.)
What you’ll get when your map is created:
- B&W & color digital landscape (no text or other illustrations like the compass rose or ships)
- B&W & color full map with text and illustrations
- B&W & color full map with illustrations and no text
- Your map on a parchment background
- Have the original map painting mailed to you for the cost of shipping.
- A prop map of your design on “aged” paper for an additional $25 plus shipping.
Available to the public (except for option #3):
- Digital downloads of all versions for patrons of various levels and/or for sale on my website
- Posters of all versions
- Prop versions of the map
All maps I create are available for small commercial use (unless option #3 in which only the person who originated the design has commercial rights), mean they can be used in packages, campaigns, PDFs etc. as long as I’m clearly attributed as the artist (i.e. “Cartography by Deven Rue”).
All my maps are hand-drawn. By “digital” I mean that you’ll receive a high resolution scanned image of your map. They are outlined in pencil and then inked in detail. Once they are finished, they are scanned and touched up in Photoshop. You are sent the high resolution file(s) at 300 DPI in PNG format. Though size varies depending on the shape of the map I’m creating for you, the largest size is 11×17 inches.
The original hand-drawn map on paper is what your digital files were originally scanned from and have no text on them. They will be created on 90 lb paper and will be colored using Copic markers and/or watercolor paints. These are perfect for framing as artwork of your world.
Ok, so how do you go about getting your map to me?
First become a patron/member if you are not already (corresponding with option above you need). Then, message me on whatever social network you follow my artwork on and tell me what option you’re looking for. I’ll add you to the queue/drawing accordingly. I’ll then set up a Dropbox folder for us to share images and how you’ll receive your maps.
If you need option #3, you don’t need to make any payments until you’re up next in the queue. I generally let you know how far out you are when you sign up.
You will be contacted before I start making your map (regardless of any option you choose) to discuss the project, make sure all is good, and decide how best to proceed.
What I need from you:
To get the most out of a map from me, I suggest giving me as much free reign as possible. By that I mean, let me add to the map as I’m inspired to do. If possible, give me only what’s absolutely necessary for me to create your map (i.e. “This town is near a volcano.”) in either written or crude drawings. The less freedom I feel I have, the less little details I tend to add and that means, though you might get the map you wanted, it won’t have all the tiny details my other maps have.
I reserve the right to decline any project regardless of the person being a patron or not.
Some designs are simply not within my ability and/or desire to create, nor will I make anything that infringes on copyrighted material. To help make sure you don’t needlessly become a patron only for me to turn down the project, MESSAGE ME VIA MY SOCIAL NETWORKS. Tell me you want to become a patron and have a project you’d like me to do. Don’t start a public conversation as I’ll assume you didn’t read any of this and thus will just direct you here. Once I get a feel for the project, I’ll tell you if I’m willing to take it on and how long the wait may be.
Queue, deadlines, & scheduling:
This changes daily so I cannot possibly predict if I’ll have an opening that year much less that week. At times, I’m several months scheduled out and suddenly I have an opening where I can fit in a project or two. This is why I’m only creating commissions for patrons at this time. It tells me they’re committed to the project and that if I have an opening, they are ready with a project.
However, once I start a project it is generally done within 1-2 weeks depending on the work involved. I will usually let you know when I provide you with the quote.